Thursday, November 25, 2010

Swedish-inspired spice muffins

My first *real* post on this blog is a tribute to my very lovely friends who reside in Scandinavia and were kind enough to send me the best selling Swedish cookbook, Swedish Cakes and Cookies.


The following recipe for spice muffins is not identical to that in the book - instead (as I typically do), I have tried to "engineer" the recipe to better suit the contents of my pantry and fridge. These mini cakes were a resounding success and worthy to take to the in-laws for an after dinner treat tonight.  


The muffins are truly reminiscent of a northern hemisphere Christmas - spicy, warming and starchy. Perhaps less suitable to a southern hemisphere Summer, but let's be honest, such delights go down a treat the year round. 


So here it is, my very first recipe. I do hope you enjoy!


Swedish-inspired spice muffins (makes 12)
100g melted margarine or butter (I use Nuttelex - a vegan, kosher, lactose-intolerant friendly spread)
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1¼ cup all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
2½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup milk (I use lactose free milk for the benefit of my beloved)



Preheat oven to 200°C and grease muffin tin.
Melt butter and set aside to cool.
Beat eggs and sugar until thickened.
Add spices, flour and baking power.
Gently mix through milk and melted batter. At this point the mixture will appear quite runny. Don't despair - this just means super moist muffins at the end of the day.
Pour into greased tin and bake for around 20 minutes, or until the muffin tops are lightly golden. 


ENJOY 
(with a few dried cranberries on the side to augment the festiveness factor)!

1 comment: