Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Beautifully different

December 8 – Beautifully Different. 
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. 
(Author: Karen Walrond) 


I have agonised over this topic for a number of hours and think it may warrant a focus group, which is not only extremely self-indulgent, but would take far too much of my time! After asking a number of friends and receiving an array of answers ranging from "You don't make me hate you" (always a good sign coming from a friend, right?!), "You're an educated Collingwood supporter with all your teeth" (astounding, right?!) and my beloved's "your bum" (yes, it is disproportionally "ample"), I decided to trawl through the archives of my brain for some sort of idea. 


After a big meal accompanied by a few beers and a cider (a girl needs her inspiration after all!) I recalled a comment printed in my high school yearbook, which was written by a school friend who remains a very close girlfriend to this day. In the annual review of the school year, each completing student was individually pictured along with a "girl most likely to..." caption. Captions typically appealed to the 18-year-old female psyche - "Girl most likely to marry an oil tycoon" and "Girl most likely to breed echidnas as domestic pets" - that sort of thing. 


However, I think that my friend may have pinpointed one thing that makes me different when she provided my caption - "Girl most likely to be right...even when she isn't". While the statement could, in part, be attributed to my debating abilities, I think it also describes my strong sense of justice and the passion with which I defend those people and things that I care about. Although this description may lead some to believe that I'm a stubborn, argumentative type, I don't think that is entirely correct. I am very open to new ideas and diverse opinions, but I am strongly passionate about my family, friends, cat babies and a number of more general issues that lie close to my heart. 
To be perfectly honest, I don't really feel like venturing into navel gazing territory on why this may or may not make me beautiful (if you are even still reading!). Instead, I'll leave you with what I think is a very pertinent quote by artist Peter McIntyre:
"Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong" 

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this :) Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Taylor. Lovely to know that people are reading :)

    ReplyDelete