Friday, December 31, 2010

A new year poem

I'm in a tropical paradise right now, but thought I'd pre-write this little post to wish you all a very happy new year. 
As we draw the curtains on 2010 and welcome 2011, I wanted to share with you a poem that I first read in secondary school. It's not deep and meaningful, but I think it contains a very sweet message. Let's find time to smile in 2011!



I shot a smile into the air

It came to earth I know not where
Perhaps on someone else’s face
In some forgotten quiet place.
Perhaps somewhere a sleeping child
Has had a happy dream and smiled
Or some old soul about to die
Has smiled and made a little sigh.
Has sighed a simple final prayer
Which lifts up gently in the air
And flows into the world so wild
Perhaps to wake the sleeping child.
~Michael Leunig

No comments:

Post a Comment