Monday, December 13, 2010

The Yorkshire Hotel

Where: The Yorkshire Hotel (48 Hoddle St, Abbotsford, VIC 3067)
What: Sunday Lunch (using this discount)
Rating: 15/20


Lunch is the new dinner in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a morning person and find it hard to partake in interesting discussions beyond about 10pm. In any case, I was thrilled to learn that my beloved booked us into the Yorkshire Hotel for Sunday lunch. After a long, early morning bike ride, what can be better than tucking into a couple of juicy steaks and a bottle of red?!


First and foremost, I have to say that I was most impressed by the staff at the Yorkshire. Warm and down to earth, these blokes were clearly passionate about the refurbished joint and the quality of its food. The atmosphere was cozy and family friendly - it's the sort of place that could simultaneously please a number of generations.


We started our meal with a bottle of Rothbury Estate Cabernet Merlot and some fresh bread with olive oil. Our 500g aged rib-eye steaks soon arrived, cooked perfectly and accompanied by a peppercorn sauce. A crispy cabbage salad and thick wedges of potato complemented the meat well.
After eating this dinosaur-sized steak, our stomachs were full, but our "dessert stomachs" were open for business! We opted to conclude our meal with a dessert that took our fancy with its fascinating combination of ingredients (and the promise of homemade ice-cream!) - ruby grapefruit jelly with fennel and Campari ice-cream.
The grapefruit jelly was quite the palate cleanser, with much of the fruit's tartness retained (to my delight and my beloved's dismay). The ice-cream was milder in flavour than I had initially anticipated, but it worked well with the tartness of the jelly. 


Overall, the Yorkshire Hotel more than lived up to my expectations. It's rare to find an unpretentious gem that can boast both a great approach to food and service. We look forward to our next visit! Yorkshire Hotel on Urbanspoon

1 comment: