Monday, January 17, 2011

Dukkah crusted chicken with quinoa and herby carrot salad

For the last couple of weeks, I've been eating a fibre-rich diet. The sort of diet that makes me feel energized, fueled and generally rearing and ready to go. It's interesting that once you're on a roll with the healthy, hearty eating and momentum is in your favour, it becomes much easier to continue eating well. Indeed, the more wholesome food I consume, the more I crave fresh, flavoursome and natural meals. Note to readers: I say this now in a moment of strength and virtue. Come back to me when I've pigged out on all sorts of processed junk and it'll be a very different story!

Tonight a spur of the moment decision and a craving for something *zingy* led me to concoct this little gem. The quinoa salad component can be teamed with any protein and would work particularly well with fish or lean red meat. It can even be eaten as a meal in itself. However, tonight chicken was on the menu. This a very tasty Summer meal that is quick to prepare and goes town a treat!

Dukkah crusted chicken with quinoa and herby carrot salad
Serves 2

1/2 cup quinoa rinsed
Olive oil (1 tsp for salad dressing and a splash to lubricate the pan)
2 diced carrots
250g chicken tenderloins/breast strips 
2-3 tbls dukkah (my not-quite-father-in-law makes stunning dukkah and I used his. Here's an easy recipe for those who don't have a dukkah making in-law!)
Juice of half an orange
Large handful of flat leaf parsley (chopped)
Large handful of mint (shredded)
3 spring onion stems
Salt and pepper

Place rinsed quinoa and a cup of cold water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered until water has absorbed (approximately 10 minutes). Rinse and drain.
Splash a little olive oil in a frying pan and cook carrots until just tender (approximately 5 minutes) and transfer to a bowl.
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with dukkah 
Cook in pan until golden and cooked through. 
Meanwhile, chop up spring onions, mint and parsley (or do as I did - made my beloved do the knife work!)
Combine quinoa, parsley, mint, spring onion, carrot, juice from half an orange, 1 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss to combine (and don't forget to marvel at the bright wholesome goodness of the salad you've just created).
Top salad with chicken.
Devour. Feel healthy, virtuous and energised!

2 comments:

  1. Looks marvelous! I really have to try quinoa one day...(read: pls invite me over for lunch/dinner and cook it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, V - consider yourself invited - just name the date! :)

    ReplyDelete