Monday, January 10, 2011

Fruit-only "soft serve"

I've been trawling through many food blogs of late, wanting some good ideas for best enjoying the stunning Summer fruit currently in season. In the last week, Australian berries have escalated in "yumminess" factor ten fold. Searching for some fruit ideas, I stumbled across honorary Aussie, Mish's new blog - My Thunder Thighs. Creating an ice-cream like substance from only fruit - who woulda thunk it?! On further investigation - many thunkded(?!?) it! I garnered ideas from Choosing Raw and Oh She Glows and made my first fruit-only soft serve earlier in the week. The taste was fresh, sweet and intense. So good was my initial creation, that I knew I *had* to share the process with all of my readers. 


Firstly, freeze a banana along with any other fruit that are conducive to ice-cream like creations (I particularly recommend berries and mango). May I suggest freezing only for a couple of hours - this makes the blending process easier. Here's some fruit I prepared earlier:
On the menu today: banana-strawberry "soft serve".
Toss banana and berries into blender container.
Then whack in the stick blender...I'm sure this would work equally well in a food processor, but alas my kitchen is not sufficiently large for such appliances.
 After a minute or so of "blitzing", spoon the luscious goop into a bowl. It's nearly ready for consumption...
...but not quite - garnish with a few plump berries and gobble it up!
This is seriously delicious (and healthy!) stuff and I have to pass on huge thanks to all of the aforementioned food bloggers for passing on such an excellent and yet simple concept. This one is going to be replicated many, many times!

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I tried this last night and I LOVE it. Thanks for posting this idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tully - it's a gem, isn't it?! My other half and I are making a bowl each night for dessert - YUM! Also great to find a fellow Melburnian food/health blogger - am really enjoying your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Georgia, I was sent here by Tully - definitely going to try this, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey B - definitely worth a try! I noted on Tully's post that it's now 0 Points on Weight Watchers - all the more reason to love it! Let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete