Friday, March 18, 2011

Going to Noma!

Last night at 2am my mobile phone rang. My first groggy response was to ignore the call and go back to sleep. However, given the number was "unknown" I decided to answer in case it was an emergency involving family or friends. Thankfully, it wasn't. Rather, it was a call from the world's number one restaurant - Noma in Copenhagen. See this link for details of its recent crowning. 


My beloved and I had tried to book Noma at precisely 10pm (Australian eastern time) on 1 March for lunch dining during our trip to Europe in May. Although I hit refresh on my browser at least a *gazillion* times when the booking system opened, I was unsuccessful and instead was asked to leave my details should there be a cancellation. 


Now, I typically have little faith in these "leave your details and we'll call you if someone pikes" arrangements, but lo and behold, Noma did call us. I don't know who on earth would turn down a booking at Noma, but I sure am grateful that they did! This will truly be the experience of a lifetime for foodies like us. I'm not quite sure I can adequately articulate my excitement at this point, but I can tell you that I was so elated by the 2am phone call that I immediately ran (a hard motion with a busted knee and at 2am!) to fetch my lap top and check that promised confirmation email had arrived (it had) and salivate over the sample menu on their website. 


I'm going to Noma, baby, yeah!

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is so exciting!! I gotta tell you though - a phone call in the wee hours of the morning would just as likely make me wet the bed. There's just something scary about a phone call in the middle of the night. Glad this one was good news! Enjoy your food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Charlotte - there was indeed a near-bed-wetting moment, but thankfully that crisis was averted! Thanks also for taking the time to check out my blog - am a massive fan of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I hope it will be suuuuper delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Note you have yet to post your review of Noma. You might be interested to read my trip report of Copenhagen - it really is a foodie heaven.

    http://shuabparvez.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/kobenhavn-a-city-at-the-krossroads/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noma review is still to come when I'm back home in Australia. I can tell you that it was an absolutely sensational experience and I found Copenhagen more generally to be bursting with character and incredibly inspiring. Anon, your post summed things up very eloquently indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your interest everyone. I have *finally* posted about my Noma experience (including photos!) at http://fabulousfoodandalittlefrolicking.blogspot.com/2011/06/eurotrip2011-noma.html

    ReplyDelete