Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Fresh fillers

Slowly and surely, I'm getting back into the intuitive eating groove. One of my self-imposed "rules" requires that I eat foods that appeal to me - i.e. those things that I'm craving. When I slow down, listen to my body and really think about what it is that I want to eat, more often than not I'm actually drawn to fresh produce. Now, we all know that I'm not going to go to the fridge and munch on a capsicum for dinner, but I have managed to throw together some pretty delicious meals of late, so I thought I'd share. 



Let's start with breakfast, because, well, it comes first. I'm a massive breakfast eater and find it hard to understand how people are able to exercise before eating in the morning. Heck, I even find it hard to understand how people get themselves to work sans breakfast. Truly remarkable! I wake up ravenous and instinctively gravitate towards a combination of carbs, protein and fibre. I don't seem to be able to stomach processed foods in the mornings (pity about the rest of my day...). I digress.

My penchant for certain breakfasts seems to run in 6-10 month cycles - i.e. I eat a relatively similar breakfast for around 6 months, until I move into my next "phase". Apparently, I'm not good with change...at least not at in the morning! For the first 8 months of year, it was all about porridge with nut butter and fruit. However, since September I've amped up the dairy and have created what I think is my best breakfast to date: toast topped with honey, ricotta and fresh fruit. 




I don't think I need to explain how to "make" this (okay, okay, here you go: toast bread; spread honey; heap on some fresh ricotta; top with berries, banana or whatever takes your fancy). Quick, easy, filling and quite frankly, delicious. For those of you who find pairing ricotta with honey strange, just trust me. It. Is. Amazing.

Moving onto my staple once-a-week post-work dinner - stir fry. I love how colourful and fresh my wok looks straight after cooking. In the mix last night? Minced chicken, onion, broccoli, bok choy, button mushrooms, wombok and some leftover carrot, broccoli and beetroot slaw (Beetroot in a stir fry? Why not!).




To keep things exciting, I tend to throw whatever veggies I have on hand into my stir fries; however, I must confess that I'm not all that creative in the stir fry sauce department. My staple sauce involves some sort of combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce and sweet chilli sauce. As a food blogger, I should probably be ashamed that I have not been sufficiently motivated to mix things up in the last decade or so.... but on the other hand, why mess with a good thing? 


So there you have it - some healthy meal ideas that you can whip up in a jiffy. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment